Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2016


Let’s Do This!

Colossians 3:15-16

A few months ago I sent out an invitation for a walking partner.  I needed the exercise and wanted to lose some weight.  Times and schedules were arranged with the respondents and the journey began. Six months later and twenty pounds lighter my walking regimen has been a success.  Looking back, there were lessons learned.

As you might guess, a partner who encourages and provides accountability is an important key to keeping it going. Of the starting group, one stayed with me and got me out of my chair on those days it just wasn’t in me to get up and out.  I don’t know if I would have stayed with it without my walking partner.  There were days when I was the encouraged and days when I was the encourager.  I am sure many of us can recall a time when a coach, teammate, or co-worker stepped alongside and kept us focused and moving forward.
   
It did not take a large leap for this student of worship to draw some parallels between Christian worship and what I learned from my exercise experience.  I believe the most neglected part of our worship is what I call the “encouragement factor”. I believe we fall short of a more complete worship time because we miss our responsibility to one another.  Commonly, in congregational worship, we strive to focus on God but are much less aware of the presence of others.  Ironically, we strive to close out our fellow congregants.  This is sometimes reflected by our seating pattern in worship which reflects an effort to be alone with God. We spread ourselves across an auditorium as though we are carriers of a deadly virus.  I admit there are other cultural forces at work here, because the “spread formation” is not unique to seating patterns in group meetings. What is disappointing is our seating pattern is truly alien to Christian worship. Corporate worship is about God and us, not God and me. Without going into a long explanation, let me add we gather to do what we cannot do alone. We are called to gather for a reason. (See my blog post: Why We Worship Together)

The “encouragement factor” has a dual role in worship. We can either assume the role of one who encourages or the one who is encouraged.  I hope we can all admit there are times we don’t feel like worshipping. Sometimes the liturgy does not include our favorite song or scripture passage. Other times our minds and hearts are other places and we are just going through the motions. We need to be reminded worship is an intentional act involving more than a passing feeling or moment of inspiration. Corporate worship is a team effort that involves an upward focus as we embrace one another.

Our time of worship together is when we renew our relationship with God as a family.  Our homework should already be done (time alone with God). Intentional worship means we don’t wait for the “feeling”, but we reach out and assume the role of either the encourager or the encouraged.  Embracing and sharing with one another cannot be done if we are spread across an auditorium at “safe distances”.  We need to be close enough to hear each other sing and pray. Our mantra should be, “let’s do this!” and turn to God together in unity.
As a good congregant, don’t be the distraction; be the partner that challenges. If you are the tired or discouraged walker (worshipper) who is ready to quit, seek out a partner who will take you by the hand and pray, sing and seek God with you.  Let’s do this!!

the friar

1 comment:

  1. "Our time of worship together is when we renew our relationship with God as a family. Our homework should already be done (time alone with God). Intentional worship means we don’t wait for the “feeling”, but we reach out and assume the role of either the encourager or the encouraged." This is why the liturgy speaks to me; sometimes I might not have the words I want or the focus I think I should have. The words of the liturgy are said by me and friends around me, and I am always encouraged in corporate worship! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete