Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Climb a Tree


Luke 19:1-5


 A gathering can be chaotic. I’m not talking about a spontaneous riot, protest, or sale at a department store.  An organized, scheduled, and purposeful gathering can have distractions that disrupt its focus and cause us to miss the reason for meeting. A live sporting event with thousands in attendance is a good example of a gathering that has many distractions.  

My dad took me to my first professional baseball game when I was about 12 years old. I had watched baseball on television but had never seen the pros in person. The Minnesota Twins were playing and I wanted to see Hall of Famer, Harmon Killebrew. 
Image result for harmon killebrew
It was a night game and under those lights, the grass seemed greener next to the orange clay of the infield. I could smell the popcorn and hear the venders calling out their wares.  I could hear the crowd around me talking about the game, politics or yelling at the umpire. All the “live” sights and sounds of the event were overwhelming. It was challenging for a 12 year old to stay focused on what was happening on the field. I remember having to work to stay focused, so I could see “Killer” Killebrew’s every move.


Corporate worship also has its distractions. A tongue-in-cheek lament of many pastors is, “Christian ministry would be great, if it weren’t for the people”. So it might be said of worship gatherings. Worship can be messy. “When two or more are gathered, there are distractions” (4 John 1:1). Worshipping alone is simple. Worshipping as a group gets complicated. The gathering can become more an obstacle than an enhancement. I believe we have forgotten how to worship together.


We need to work at worshipping together.  (See my post, Why Worship Together?). Too often we approach worship casually, waiting for a spiritual tap on the shoulder to remind us why we are there. It is little wonder many will leave a worship venue with a consumer critique such as, “I didn’t get anything out of that”. 
Image result for climbing a tree

Zacchaeus joined a throng that came out to see Jesus. He could have settled for a glimpse or second hand account of the event but instead he, 1) ran out ahead, and 2) climbed a tree, so that he could see Jesus.


We are missing the activity of God in the midst of worship because we settle for the cheap seats when we could run out ahead and climb. This Sunday, work at worship. If  Jesus sees you spiritually perched and watching Him, most likely, He will go home with you.  

 the friar

3 comments:

  1. The analogy of the efforts of Zacchaeus and the worship distractions of today is good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post, Friar. Worshiping alone can also have distractions. You are right — whether we are alone or in corporate worship, we must come with anticipation and ready for our time with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I always sit in somewhere in the first four pews. Having more than four pews of people in front of me is too distracting. So many colors! So much movement! It helps to sit in the front.
    Your memories of your childhood are so vivid and put to such good use. Love reading them.

    ReplyDelete