Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Who is Coming to Worship?

Psalm 139:1-12


I do not remember the first time I daydreamed during school, but I do believe I did more than my share. I remember the teacher calling out my name (I am not sure how many times) to bring me back into the moment. Teachers and students alike will remember the familiar call, “Earth to John, or how many thousands of miles away are you?”  I was not sufficiently embarrassed by these incidents because it wasn’t long until my mind had taken me out of the classroom again. It seems we have the capacity to be present in body, but absent in mind and spirit. This is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I will let you be the judge of each.

In the first part of Psalm 139 the writer is explaining the omnipresence of God. That is, God is everywhere and sees us all the time. The psalmist realizes that God knows us better than we know ourselves (v. 4-5). He is always where we are. When we go, when we stay, when we try to hide or when we seek God, He is always there.

God is always there when we gather for worship. I am disheartened when I hear believers remark that God’s presence varies from Sunday to Sunday. People will say, the Spirit moved, or God showed up, or what a great time of worship compared to other times. In some sense they are rating the worship time based upon a qualitative presence of God.  I fear they are assuming the role of audience or consumer in worship and are implying God’s presence varies from Sunday to Sunday. Psalm 139 and other passages reflect an ever present God.

My own words grabbed me one Sunday morning when I was taking my place in the choir. After getting situated in the loft, I looked up and noticed tripods, telephoto lenses, cameras of every shape and kind lining both sides of our worship place. With little thought, I nudged a fellow choir member beside me and said, “wow, I guess someone important is going to be here today.” He pointed to our worship guide (the ever present bulletin) and said,” it’s the children’s choir”. As I began to recognize the parents who were there to record a moment of their child’s life, I also realized the irony of my words. Had I forgotten that God is there each Sunday? In that moment  I wondered if the media would overwhelm our auditorium on a Sunday if we announced that Jesus would be the guest speaker. I think we forget that God is present and is totally, completely and anxiously prepared to see and hear our worship.

I believe God blesses us with His presence 24-7, but do I anticipate His presence in worship, and as my grade school teacher said, am I there?

The Friar

2 comments:

  1. Oh how easy it is to miss this important point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true that God is always there and always there completely, regardless of the emotive response the worshiper has towards the event.

    ReplyDelete